The Met Gala is an annual fundraising event held at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Although not recorded on television, this global event is publicized widely across various platforms But what exactly is it?
Well, I’m glad you asked. The editor of American Vogue, Ms. Wintour, took over as chairwoman of the Met Gala in 1999. Since then, this event has been shifted from a simple philanthropic event to that of a global celebrity cocktail party. It is considered to be one of the hardest parties to receive invitations to, and only seeks the entry for the most elite in fashion, film, and politics. Every year some of our favorite celebrities attend the event dressed in the most lavish, exquisite pieces of fashion.
It is important to keep in mind that this is an art show! The Met Gala was originally called the Costume Institute Gala, and is a theme based event, which asks for the attendees to abide by the dress-code. Although some do, and others do not, The Met Gala is the place for creative expression, and only requires little research to create a look to showcase.
This years theme was Comme Des Garcons featuring designs by Rei Kawakubo, who Vogue Magazine states to be “one of the most influential designers in the past forty years.” Pictures flooded social media, one by one, as we gazed over the many looks of the gala. Of course, some were better than others, but here were some of the most eye-catching looks of the night!
- Jayden Smith’s enters the red carpet much different than the other guests. Accompanied by a blasting speaker, and his dreadlocks to serve as a clutch, Jayden enters the Gala in his all black, Dracula inspired look.
- Kim Kardashians outfit has nothing to do with the theme of Comme Des Garcons, and honestly, she doesn’t care. Ever since her robbery, Kim has been re-branding her image for a more simplistic, polished look. Undoubtedly, she looks great, but Kim is more concerned with her visual messaging, rather than the theme of the event.
- Some people get fashion, and others don’t. One of these others would have to be Nicki Minaj. Wearing a black body suit, and red cape, Nicki commemorates Rei Kawakubo on her black belt featuring her iconic face and hairstyle.
- Robyn “The Queen of the Met Gala” Fenty. This is someone who gets it. This “bad gal” enters the Gala wearing Comme des Garcons very own Winter 2016 runway look. After last year, did we really expect anything less from her?
- Priyanka Chopra enters wearing an off the shoulder, brown Ralph Lauren piece. But can we talk about this mega-train? Priyanka looks great from head to toe!
- Solange has been a fashion icon for years now. For this years gala, Knowles wears a a Uniqlo-esque padded jacket which turns into a gown. The train in this coat is phenomenal, and Solange pulls this look off with ease. She makes us forget it’s May and practically 80 degrees!
- Zendaya arrived in a Dolce & Gabbana Alta Moda ball gown covered in a tropical parrot print. Although it rejected the avant-garde theme, Zendaya “enlivened the red carpet with a fanciful glamour,” says Vogue.
While the night with filled with some amazing pieces, others were not so hot. For more pictures and behind-the-scenes videos from the night visit http://www.vogue.com/slideshow/met-gala-2017-red-carpet-live-celebrity-fashion